SYA alumni, faculty and others make amazing things happen in the world.
Their accomplishments advance the common good inspiring others toward innovation and creativity. In its 50th year, SYA established the Distinguished Alumnus/a Award and the Honorary Alumnus/a Award. If you are interested in nominating an individual for either award, please see below.
The SYA Distinguished Alumnus/a Award recognizes outstanding alumni leaders.
1. An alumnus/a of SYA, who has not received this honor previously;
2. Extraordinary professional accomplishments and/or volunteer service;
3. Demonstrated depth of loyalty, involvement and commitment to SYA and its mission.
Note: Faculty and staff currently employed by SYA are ineligible.
Process for Nomination
The nomination form must be submitted to the Director of Alumni Relations by April 30. The Director of Alumni Relations will then make recommendations to the Awards Committee. Nominations will be kept on an active consideration list for three years. The award need not be given on an annual basis and may be awarded posthumously.
Notification of the SYA Distinguished Alumnus/a Award
The recipient will be notified by July of the same year. The recipient will receive an award either in person at a time designated by the Office of Alumni Relations or through the mail.
The SYA Honorary Alumnus/a Award was established to honor individuals who have made significant contributions toward SYA’s welfare, reputation, and/or prestige, and/or toward its students, faculty and/or alumni, and who are not themselves alumni of SYA.
To be considered for this honor, the individual:
1. May not be an alumnus/a of SYA, either by attendance at an SYA school or by receiving this honor previously;
2. Made significant contributions toward SYA’s welfare, reputation, or prestige, or toward its students, faculty or alumni;
3. Has given extraordinary and valuable contribution of time and/or effort to SYA;
4. Demonstrates a depth of loyalty, involvement and commitment to SYA’s mission parallel that of an SYA alumnus/a.
Process for nomination
The qualifications of a potential honorary alumnus candidate should first be discussed with the Director of Alumni Relations. Following this discussion and the mutual agreement that the individual meets the criteria and may be eligible for the award, an official nomination form must be submitted to the Director of Alumni Relations by April 30. The Director of Alumni Relations will then make a recommendation to SYA’s President and Executive Director, who must reach a unanimous decision. This honor may be posthumously bestowed.
Notification of the SYA Honorary Alumnus/a Award
The recipient will be notified by July of the same year. The recipient will be given a certificate commemorating the Honorary Alumnus Award either through the mail or in person at a time designated by the Office of Alumni Relations.