Academics at SYA Spain
SYA Spain is committed to ensuring that students develop the knowledge and intercultural skills needed to fully grasp the experience: from mastering the language, to communicating in Spanish with a pen pal in another region, to hiking or kayaking in the Aragonese countryside, or heading out of town with the host family for an extended weekend.
All students are required to take six courses, including Spanish language, English and SYA Practicum.
Full course descriptions for 2019-20 can be opened below. You will also note that many of our courses are denoted as "FW" which means that the course involves a fieldwork element designed to challenge students in the broader community.
- English (H) - 1 Credit
- SYA Practicum (H) - .5 Credit
- AP Spanish Language and Culture - 1 credit
- Preparation for the Proficiency Diploma in the Spanish Language (DELE) (H) - 1 credit
- Spanish Literature: From Reading to Writing (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Spanish and Latin American Theater: Analysis and Performance (H) - 1 Credit
- Contemporary History of Spain through the Lens of Its Cinema (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Spanish Civilization and Culture (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Contemporary Art and Its Roots (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Applied Sociology: Spain and Street-Level Politics (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Macroeconomics and the Global Consumer (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Environmental Science (H) - 1 Credit - FW