Academics at SYA Italy
Home to 50 UNESCO World Heritage sites, Italy is sure to stimulate your mind, whether interested in science, art, architecture, archaeology, history, modern languages, classical studies or contemporary global issues.
SYA Italy's curriculum seeks to capture this wide range with a multidisciplinary, dual-language approach, and provide students with an in-depth understanding of modern-day Italy by examining both the ancient cultures from which it sprang and the contemporary challenges and opportunities that being a small European Union member state entails.
All students are required to take six courses, including Italian language, English and SYA Practicum.
Full course descriptions for 2019-20 can be opened below. You will also note that many of our courses are denoted as "FW" which means that the course involves a fieldwork element designed to challenge students in the broader community.
- English (H) - 1 Credit
- SYA Practicum (H) - .5 Credit
- Italian Language (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Italian Language and Culture (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Latin Reading - 1 Credit - FW
- Advanced Topics in Latin (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- AP Latin - 1 Credit
- Introductory Greek (H) - 1 Credit
- Greek Reading (H) - 1 Credit
- Ancient and Italian Art History (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Excavating Ancient History (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Local Global Perspectives (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Applied Agroecology (H) - 1 Credit - FW