Academics at SYA France
SYA France supports high school students on their journey to becoming fluent in French through the study - in French - of the language, culture and politics of France. Whether a student is exploring an outdoor farmers market, dining at a neighborhood bistro or attending the latest French play, he or she is immersed in French culture the majority of every day.
All students are required to take six courses, including French language, English and SYA Practicum.
Full course descriptions for 2019-20 can be opened below. You will also note that many of our courses are denoted as "FW" which means that the course involves a fieldwork element designed to challenge students in the broader community.
- English (H) - 1 Credit
- SYA Practicum (H) - .5 Credit
- AP French Language and Culture - 1 Credit
- Preparation for the Diploma in French Studies (DELF) (H) - 1 Credit
- French Literature and Contemporary Culture (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Modern French History: The Building of a Nation (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Art History (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Political Science and Global Issues (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- A Political Journey: Contemporary France and Europe Through the Lens of Visual Media (H) - 1 Credit - FW
- Environmental Science (H) - 1 Credit - FW