SYA Spain is a study abroad program for high school students that will take you deep into the study of Spanish language and culture. While all high school classes are taught in Spanish except English and math, we assure you that a wide range of language learners are successful at SYA due to our fully immersive program. Your home base, Zaragoza, is Spain’s fifth-largest city, located halfway between Madrid and Barcelona. Relatively unspoiled by tourism, it is an ideal location for immersing yourself in the local community. Each experience you have — whether chatting with your host family, rowing on the Ebro or painting in a nearby studio — will reinforce what you’re learning at school and teach you more about this influential language and culture than you could ever learn from a book. Beyond the city, you’ll attend class in some pretty spectacular locations, from the canyons of the Sierra de Guara to the halls of the famous Museo Nacional del Prado.
Studying Abroad with SYA Spain
What's It Like to Spend a Year of High School Abroad in Spain?
“SYA Spain has changed my life. Not only in opening my eyes to just how big this world is and how different every little part of it is, but also as to how I want to live and who I was to be.”
-Lili ES'19, Sidwell Friends School, DC
“I’ve realized that SYA is defined by moments like these–small, perspective-changing experiences that happen almost accidentally, maybe even without your realizing. In just a month I’ve learned to be open to anything (especially the spontaneous experiences that unfold almost every day), to seize the present moment, and, most importantly, to trust the process."
-Abby D. ES'23, Milton Academy, MA
"In Spain, I’ve met people, gone to places, and experienced adventures I never want to forget. Of course, it was not without mishaps and challenges, but each has molded me into a more self-aware, mature, and brave person with a global perspective and second tongue. Learning another language also fosters a different ability of cultural understanding."
-Melinda D. ES'22, Sidwell Friends School, DC
Quick Facts About SYA Spain – Our Spain High School Study Abroad Program
- SYA Spain's high school campus is located in Zaragoza, mid-way between Barcelona and Madrid.
- SYA was first established in 1964 and relocated from Barcelona to Zaragoza in 1998.
- In 2010, we moved our school to a newly-renovated location which was dedicated in 2012 as 'Casa Foster 64'.
- Students typically take six classes; all but English and math are taught in Spanish.
- Students must have studied through the second year of a rigorous high school Spanish curriculum to be considered for admission to our Spain program.
- Ample extracurriculars, including artistic, athletic or service opportunities are available to best meet student interests. Basketball, volleyball and soccer are popular and several SYA alums have played on high-level field hockey and water polo teams in recent years.
- The popular Joven Erasmus program connects students with local youth to study and address shared societal challenges.