What is the SYA High School Semester Abroad Program?
The SYA Semester study abroad program is designed to provide high school students who are not able to commit to a yearlong study abroad experience the opportunity to study abroad with SYA.
Semester options are offered at all SYA campuses, however, spaces in our semester programs are limited. Sophomores are eligible to apply for spring semester programs and seniors are eligible for fall semester programs. Students must be enrolled in or have completed the equivalent of level two French or Spanish to apply to SYA France or Spain, respectively. No prior study or knowledge of Italian is required to apply to the SYA Italy Semester program.
"Studying abroad with SYA is an opportunity like no other.
If you haven’t yet applied, apply! If you haven’t yet accepted, accept! You’d much rather be at an SYA reunion in Europe than be lamenting that you missed an opportunity to do something truly incredible."
-August IT'19 Semester
Our High School Semester Study Abroad Program Curriculum
SYA’s curriculum is our mission in action. With an interdisciplinary and student-driven approach, there are no clear lines that separate traditional school from experiences outside the high school classroom. Time spent engaging with host families, on educational travel, extracurricular activities and fieldwork are all part of the SYA curricular experience. As students uncover the connections between their coursework and their environment, the world around them amplifies learning. SYA’s experiential model challenges students while encouraging them to take their education into their own hands.
Semester students will participate in an immersion unit then attend classes alongside their yearlong peers. Upon completion of the program, semester students will be awarded three academic credits. Students will earn .5 credit in each of six courses: Math, English, Language, an Experiential fieldwork course and two electives.
- Will SYA Semester students live with a host family?
- Will SYA Semester students participate in educational travel?
- What is the tuition for the SYA Semester study abroad program and is financial aid available?
- What are the application deadlines for the SYA Semester abroad program?
- Do I need a visa to study abroad for a semester?
- If I attend SYA’s fall semester, will I have the option to continue for the year?
- Will semester students participate in the Capstone project?
- Will Spring semester students take courses alongside yearlong students?
- What are the Semester program dates?
Attended: SYA Italy Semester as a Junior
Home School: St. George's School
College Attending: New York University
Hometown: The Plains, VA
Interests: Photography and cooking