What is the SYA Semester program?
The SYA Semester program is designed to provide students who are not able to commit to a yearlong experience the opportunity to study abroad with SYA.
Semester options are offered at all SYA campuses, however, spaces in our semester programs are limited.
"Studying abroad with SYA is an opportunity like no other.
If you haven’t yet applied, apply! If you haven’t yet accepted, accept! You’d much rather be at an SYA reunion in Europe than be lamenting that you missed an opportunity to do something truly incredible."
-August IT'19 Semester
Course of Study
SYA’s curriculum is our mission in action. With an interdisciplinary and student-driven approach, there are no clear lines that separate traditional school from experiences outside the classroom. Time spent engaging with host families, on educational travel, co-curricular activities and fieldwork are all part of the SYA curricular experience. As students uncover the connections between their coursework and their environment, the world around them amplifies learning. SYA’s experiential model challenges students while encouraging them to take their education into their own hands.
Semester students will participate in an immersion unit then attend classes alongside their yearlong peers. Upon completion of the program, semester students will be awarded three academic credits. Students will earn .5 credit in each of six courses: Math, English, Language, an Experiential fieldwork course and two electives.
- Will SYA Semester students live with a host family?
- Will SYA Semester students participate in educational travel?
- What is the tuition for the SYA Semester program and is financial aid available?
- What are the application deadlines for the SYA Semester program?
- Do I need a visa to study abroad for a semester?
- If I attend SYA’s fall semester, will I have the option to continue for the year?
- Will semester students participate in the Capstone project?
- Will Spring semester students take courses alongside yearlong students?
Attended: SYA Italy Semester as a Junior
Home School: St. George's School
College Attending: New York University
Hometown: The Plains, VA
Interests: Photography and cooking