Nixon was president. People flocked to see Love Story. IBM introduced the floppy disk. That Girl was the number one TV show and “Layla” was ubiquitous on the radio. The median household income was $8,734. The Baltimore Orioles won the World Series. It was 1970, and Schoolboys Abroad changed its name to School Year Abroad during the historic moment when 13 female students enrolled at SYA Spain. This unprecedented move toward coeducation signaled a sweeping evolution at SYA. This moment opened doors to a lifetime of possibility and change for women, one that continues to evolve and show promise. SYA admitted women to our campus in Rennes the following year. The rest is HERstory.
Beginning on Founder's Day, September 9, 2020, we commemorate this historic moment with a year-long celebration of virtual programming and stories. Throughout the year we will invite the participation of alumnae/i, faculty, staff, students and parents as we honor the influence and contributions of women to SYA's past, present and future.
- empowHER: Finding Her Voice | March 24, 2021 at 7 p.m. EDT
- Fermenting Change: Alumnae in the Wine Industry | Watch recording
- Celebrating our Coeducation Trailblazers: A Round Table Discussion with Some of the First Women of SYA | Watch recording
- De-Biasing the Brain | Featuring Robin Hauser Reynolds FR'82 | Watch recordng
- Lauren Burke CN'01 | Global Thinker Speaker Series | Empowering Immigrant Youth | Watch recording
- Rhea Wong FR'96 | Global Thinker Speaker Series | Border Crossing | Watch recording
- Pauline Chen FR'82 | Global Thinker Speaker Series | Examining the Relationship Between Doctor and Patient | Watch recording
- Alice Conklin FR'74 FR'07P | Featured Speaker, SYA France 50th Anniversary | Watch recording