Financial Aid and FAQs
The 2023-2024 application is now closed. The deadline to apply for financial aid and scholarships for the 2023-2024 academic year was February 10, 2023. Financial aid will be very limited after the deadline.
Steps for Applying for Financial Aid
1. Fill out the Parents' Financial Statement
2. Prepare your tax return and upload a copy to SSS.
3. Fill out and mail IRS form 4506-T to School Year Abroad
STEP ONE: COMPLETE THE PARENTS' FINANCIAL STATEMENT
Navigate to the SSS website, and create an account (or login to an existing account). Carefully read the instructions and complete the Parents' Financial Statement (PFS) online. As you begin, be sure to write your PFS password and SSS PIN in a safe location.
- Create your PFS Online account with your email address and a password. If you applied for financial aid last year, simply login to the PFS Online as a Returning Family, using the email address and password you set up last year.
- Begin a PFS for Academic Year 2023-2024. You can log out of the PFS Online at any time, then return later to complete it.
- After you have pressed submit, you'll be brought to a payment screen. The fee of $55 is nonrefundable. Once your PFS is submitted, it cannot be withdrawn from the SSS system.
- After you pay for and submit your PFS, you'll have access in the PFS Online to a section called "My Documents." You can upload the additional documents we require there.
Be sure to note our full school name, School Year Abroad, and our school code, 7216, in the appropriate sections of the PFS.
STEP TWO: PREPARE YOUR TAX RETURN AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
Prepare your tax return as soon as possible. Then, upload to SSS your signed and completed Form 1040 for the year 2022, including all schedules and W-2 forms. Tax returns must be received by February 10, 2023. If you have not completed this year's tax return, please submit your most recent tax return and this year's W-2.
STEP THREE: FILL OUT IRS FORM 4506-T
Complete sections 1,2,3,4 and 6 (enter the type of form you filed - ex: 1040) of IRS Form 4506-T; date the document, sign and send it to SYA. Do NOT include a check with this form. SYA will pay the fee if we request information from the IRS. The form is available online at www.irs.gov/formspubs. Select form and instruction number (PDF) from the download forms and publications menu. You can also click here for a PDF of the 4506-T form.
In order to be assured of full consideration as we begin to allocate funds, you must nave submitted your completed application by February 10, 2023.
We will not be able to calculate aid until we have received all the required components of the financial aid application.
Please note: If the student's parents are divorced or separated, or were never married, each birth parent and spouse (that is, both households) must complete and submit the PFS, current Income Tax Return and IRS Form 4506-T before SYA can calculate an award.
Mail the IRS Form 4506-T to:
School Year Abroad
Financial Aid Office
120 Water Street, Suite 310
North Andover, MA 01845
- How does School Year Abroad determine financial need?
- What if I haven't filed my taxes yet?
- Can I appeal my financial aid award?
- What happens if parents are divorced or separated?
- I am receiving financial assistance from my child's school now, would I qualify for an award from SYA?
- What other financing options are available?
How does School Year Abroad determine financial need?
What if I haven't filed my taxes yet?
Can I appeal my financial aid award?
What happens if parents are divorced or separated?
I am receiving financial assistance from my child's school now, would I qualify for an award from SYA?
What other financing options are available?
If you have any other questions, please contact the Financial Aid office at 978.725.6828.