COVID-19 Information and Updates
With the health and safety of our students as our top priority, our leadership teams have continuously monitored information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and our host countries’ government officials for guidance. As of March 12, 2020, our four campuses are closed with students evacuated. Plans continue to evolve to support students and their families for the remainder of the academic year, including the transition back to sending schools or to SYA's innovative online option. Online learning will fully launch on March 23.
SYA Response to COVID-19 Outbreak
March 23: Launched online classes for SYA France and Spain students.
March 16: Launched online classes for SYA Italy students.
March 12: Initiated mandatory evacuation of students from SYA Spain and France following the March 11th U.S. Government announcement of travel restrictions from identified European countries.
March 4: Initiated mandatory evacuation of students at SYA Italy following the Italian Minister of Education’s decision to close schools. SYA China students were notified they would not be continuing the year in Italy. Families were given the option to return to their sending high schools or continue with SYA online.
February 25-28: Advised SYA China and Italy parents about Italian government actions.
February 6: Launched online classes for SYA China students.
January 28: Assisted SYA China families with options for completing school year: either return to high school or complete year with SYA in Beijing or transfer to SYA Italy.
January 27: Initiated mandatory evacuation of students at SYA China following Chinese Government mandated school closures and travel restrictions.
- What will the rest of this year look like for current SYA students?
- What have been the financial implications for current SYA families?
- Were any students or faculty diagnosed with COVID-19?
- What is happening with faculty and host families?
- Is SYA’s home office open?
- Is SYA planning to operate next year?
- When will families know if SYA programs will operate next year and how will SYA make this decision?
- Given the uncertainty of the current situation, will the deadline for enrollment agreements and deposits be extended?
- How are other prospective parents responding?
- What happens if there is a resurgence in COVID-19 cases next year?
- Do you have other thoughts and guidance you can share with us?