Advancement Intership POsition
Job Status: Part-time, non-exempt
Compensation: $16.00-$18.00 per hour dependent upon education and experience
Hours per week: 8 hours per week (potential to split these hours over multiple days)
Duration: Mid January, 2022 - June, 2022
Reports to: Advancement Services Manager
Location: North Andover, MA (Hybrid in office/remote options will be considered)
Founded in 1964, School Year Abroad (SYA) is a non-profit, independent school with campuses in France, Italy and Spain. SYA is the only secondary-level program which requires students to live with a host family for an entire academic year while earning U.S. graduation credits and preparing for admission to selective U.S. colleges and universities. The central elements of SYA, the homestay and an academic program emphasizing foreign language acquisition, ensure that students become fully fluent in language and culture.
The Advancement Intern provides administrative support to the Advancement department and will gain experience supporting a small fundraising and alumni relations team across a wide range of tasks. Primary duties are outlined below, and other duties may be assigned.
Specific job responsibilities
- Enter and update constituent information in the Raiser’s Edge database
- Record event registration and assist with event reminders and tracking.
- Run queries and reports to extract data from the database(s) as requested.
- Provide support for gift entry and acknowledgments
- Conduct research on current donors & prospects
- Assist with in-house mailings
- Monitor several email inboxes and respond to inquiries accordingly
- Provide administrative and clerical support as needed
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite programs (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Experience with email marketing services, mail merges and web searches
- Belief in and commitment to SYA’s mission
- CRM Database experience (Raiser’s Edge a significant plus!)
- Previous development or alumni relations volunteer or intern experience
Skills and attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills (in person and by phone) and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Willingness to learn and apply new technologies as needed
- Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy and deadlines
- High level of energy and an excellent customer service ethic
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments
- Highly resourceful team player, with the ability to also be effective working independently
Vaccination requirement: To help ensure the School Year Abroad Home Office is a safe environment, SYA requires that all employees, interns, and volunteers in the office be fully vaccinated against COVID 19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved by SYA. “Fully vaccinated” is defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and may change as new recommendations are made.
Under federal and Massachusetts law, SYA will consider medical and religious exemptions to vaccination only. In order to request an accommodation, employees will need to provide documentation of a medical condition or of a sincerely held religious belief, and SYA will then engage in an individualized analysis with the employee or volunteer to determine if an accommodation can be made, as long as it does not cause an undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the SYA work environment. For those employees requesting an accommodation, they should speak with SYA President Tom Hassan.
SYA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks candidates who add to the diversity of our organization. SYA is committed to building a team that embraces and works toward equity, diversity and inclusion for our entire community, both in the United States and abroad.