ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ADMISSIONS
SYA Admissions is a high-energy, fast-paced and creative department that enrolls nearly 200 students every year to attend our schools in France, Italy and Spain. The Assistant Director of Admissions is a key member of the admissions team whose primary responsibility is student recruitment and enrollment management. The Assistant Director of Admissions is an entry-level position which reports to the Associate Director of Admissions and is based at SYA’s home office in North Andover, Massachusetts. The start date will be in early summer 2022.
KEY DUTIES OF STUDENT RECRUITMENT
- 8-10 weeks of domestic travel to promote SYA and recruit students.
- Prioritize member schools, develop contacts, build itineraries of 8-10 school visits per week and deliver
compelling and convincing presentations.
- Plan logistics for travel including finding competitively priced airfare, hotels and rental cars.
- Conduct thorough follow-up from school visits including sending thank you notes to school contacts and logging
inquiries within 48 hours of the visit.
- Manage admissions funnel and convert inquiries into enrolled students by proactively contacting inquiries and
families by phone, email and in-person.
- Plan and attend regional receptions and parent weekends at select member schools.
KEY DUTIES OF ENROLLMENT MANAGEMENT
- Read applications and evaluate candidates for an assigned country and one additional country.
- Coordinate Merit Scholarship program and select winners for your assigned country.
- Yield admitted students to your assigned country.
- Send enrollment/orientation communications to your assigned country.
- Serve as department expert for your country’s visa process and assist families through this process.
- Liaise with your country’s Resident Director to communicate the status of student enrollment.
- Other duties as necessary to enhance the ability to recruit students or promote SYA’s mission.
The ideal candidate is someone who has studied abroad, lived with a host family and has two to five years of relevant work experience. Qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree (required).
- Familiarity with U.S. independent school culture.
- Admissions experience, marketing experience and/or sales experience (highly desirable).
- Strong work ethic and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to establish rapport with, and command respect of, students, families, school admins and faculty.
- Flexibility, good humor and high energy.
- Willingness and ability to travel by air, sometimes with limited notice.
- Ability to attend to detail with thoroughness and accuracy.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable with basic database management and reporting.
- Proficient in MS Office, Google applications.
- Valid driver’s license (required).
To help ensure the School Year Abroad Home Office is a safe environment, SYA requires that all employees, interns and volunteers in the office be fully vaccinated against COVID 19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved by SYA. “Fully vaccinated” is defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and may change as new recommendations are made.
Under federal and Massachusetts law, SYA will consider medical and religious exemptions to vaccination only. In order to request an accommodation, employees will need to provide documentation of a medical condition or of a sincerely held religious belief, and SYA will then engage in an individualized analysis with the employee or volunteer to determine if an accommodation can be made, as long as it does not cause an undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the SYA work environment. For those employees requesting an accommodation, they should speak with SYA President Tom Hassan.
SYA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks candidates who add to the diversity of our organization. SYA is committed to building a team that embraces and works toward equity, diversity and inclusion for our entire community, both in the United States and abroad.