Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at SYA.
Title: Advancement Officer
Job Status: Full-time; non-exempt
Reports to: Associate Director of Advancement
Location: North Andover, MA
Founded in 1964, School Year Abroad (SYA) is a non-profit, independent school with campuses in China, France, Italy and Spain. SYA is the only secondary-level program which requires students to live with a European or Asian host family for an entire academic year while earning U.S. graduation credits and preparing for admission to selective U.S. colleges and universities. The central elements of SYA, the homestay and an academic program emphasizing foreign language acquisition, ensure that students become fully fluent in language and culture.
The Advancement Officer reports to the Associate Director of Advancement and helps to advance the mission of SYA as a member of a small, dynamic team, building support for SYA’s advancement program. The Officer will provide administrative support in a variety of development and alumni relations operations in a fast-paced environment. Candidates should have knowledge of development operations and at least 2-3 years of relevant development experience.
- Provide administrative support for a variety of development operations including annual giving, volunteer relations, stewardship and major giving.
- Schedule appointments with alumni and parent donors and prospects for the President, Director of Advancement, and others as needed.
- Coordinate all related meeting logistics and travel arrangements; manage and maintain meeting tracking mechanisms.
- Prepare and compile donor meeting materials and enter related actions in database.
- Manage fulfillment of Annual Fund appeals (requesting data pulls, working with mail house) and other communications (class letters, general communications).
- Assist in preparing reports of contact information and fundraising progress for volunteers.
- Oversee young alumni class agent and class correspondent programs: increase number of volunteers and expand impact of programs, help classes set and meet fundraising goals.
- Establish strong working relationships with volunteers through work on class campaigns.
- Provide administrative support for alumni programs (Class Notes, alumni volunteer opportunities, etc.) and communications (class communications, SYA e-newsletter, etc.).
- Provide administrative support for large and small events, including scheduling, coordinating logistics, working with facilities and vendors, preparing communications, completing follow-up actions and occasionally helping to staff events as needed.
- Identify and cultivate key alumni for leadership volunteer roles, features and profiles.
- Assist with social media by collaborating with the Senior Communications Officer and the Admissions Marketing Manager on content, scheduling posts, compiling metrics, etc.
- Monitor and maintain membership and data in virtual communities including LinkedIn and online alumni community.
- Perform various administrative functions including data entry, in-house mailings, electronic and paper filing and constituent research.
- Assist with database updates including alumni, parent, and faculty information, constituent mailing preferences, addresses, email addresses, work information, education information, etc.
- Serve as liaison with vendors.
- Review Advancement webpages to ensure they are accurate and up-to-date.
- Run queries and reports to extract data from the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Manage and maintain Advancement Office budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Polished oral, written, telephone, and e-mail communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (in person and by phone), communication skills (verbal and written) and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy and deadlines.
- Creativity, flexibility, and ability to multi-task while maintaining high quality work products.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Quick learner and self-starter with a can-do attitude.
- High level of energy and an excellent customer service ethic.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with email marketing services, mail merges, email and web searches (eNotify preferred).
- Experience working with fundraising and/or relational databases (Raiser’s Edge preferred).
- Solution-seeker and creative problem-solver.
- Belief in and commitment to SYA’s mission.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of fundraising at nonprofits and/or schools; 2-3 years of relevant development experience preferred.
- Experience with office administration and coordinating events.
Salary commensurate with education and experience; excellent benefit package.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. SYA is an equal opportunity employer and is seeking a diverse candidate pool.